The Best thing to do in Hoi An
is the Hoi An Eco Tour for fishing. You get to learn about the experiences and traditions of the fishermen and their families. You also get to try to fish. I say try as its bloody hard work. You do all of this on a sweet sweet boat with awesome crew (the owners of the company). PLUS at the end of the trip you get fed. Not quite what you have been catching but some of the best food eaten in Vietnam (thanks to the captains wife who prepares everything for him to heat/cook).
We were supposed to go on a morning cruise but Khoa called and asked if we could go in the afternoon as there was a TV crew coming on board. We're now going to be famous in yet another country. Not that I really want to be famous for walking through muddy mangroves to check out where the Viet Cong used to live..
You get in and out of these little bamboo baskets which the crew race around every where, never letting you take cameras (which worried me as obviously they were expecting spillage).
Here are some images - if you come to Hoi An and dont do this you are seriously missing out.


Pulling it in (to collect three little fish)
and out again

Ally Steering the boat
Ally pulling the net in.. sorry this pic is rather suss.. :)
Khoa aka Jack Sparrow
Dai rocking our little boat
Yet again, chicks doing the work.. men chillin

Us in the little bamboo baskets (Ally & I are closest to the camera)
Our nature walk through the mud
They dragged the little boats through as well so we could get back in on the other side.
Ducklings on the beach
mmm salty ducks
Our little bamboo boat
Fisherman
putting his back into it


attempting to cast the net
catch of the day..

I drew the short straw and was interviewed. Which was actually quite difficult as questions were translated into english and then my responses were translated as I was speaking.. I felt like a bloody idiot but hey it was for a good cause.
We were supposed to go on a morning cruise but Khoa called and asked if we could go in the afternoon as there was a TV crew coming on board. We're now going to be famous in yet another country. Not that I really want to be famous for walking through muddy mangroves to check out where the Viet Cong used to live..
You get in and out of these little bamboo baskets which the crew race around every where, never letting you take cameras (which worried me as obviously they were expecting spillage).
Here are some images - if you come to Hoi An and dont do this you are seriously missing out.
Ally fixing the fishing net
Casting the net


Pulling it in (to collect three little fish)
and out again
Ally Steering the boat
Ally pulling the net in.. sorry this pic is rather suss.. :)
Khoa aka Jack Sparrow
Dai rocking our little boat
Yet again, chicks doing the work.. men chillin
Us in the little bamboo baskets (Ally & I are closest to the camera)
Our nature walk through the mud
They dragged the little boats through as well so we could get back in on the other side.
Ducklings on the beach
mmm salty ducks
Our little bamboo boat
Fisherman
putting his back into it

attempting to cast the net
catch of the day..
I drew the short straw and was interviewed. Which was actually quite difficult as questions were translated into english and then my responses were translated as I was speaking.. I felt like a bloody idiot but hey it was for a good cause.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home